My 220 gallon In-Wall reef build

The blue linkia bit the dust. I got home from the office today and its legs were all separated and white goo was coming out of them. Pretty gross, luckily I had a 30 gallon batch of fresh saltwater ready to go and after fishing the linkia out of the tank I did a water change. The starfish was still just as blue as the day I bought it too. Premium Aquatics has a pretty good reputation but I'm afraid my experience with their livestock wasn't the best. The folks were nice enough, but every bumblebee snail I got was an empty shell and the blue linkia starfish was dead most likely before I got home. Everything else seams to be doing good so thats a plus. I'm definitely staying away from starfish moving forward as I don't think they are worth the hassle. I've read there is something like 90% mortality rate of linkias in the first 30 days and that is a perfect reason why we should refrain from even harvesting these from their natural habitat. Lesson learned.

In keeping with tradition, another one month review of some of the coral growth in the system. Some of the angles on the newer pics aren't identical but the growth is real. Also, tissue color on some of the newer additions towards the bottom is rapidly increasing for the better. They were almost bleached when I got them.

compare%20birdsnest%203%202%2018%2016_zp

compare%20teal%202%2018%2016_zpsrte9bol1

compare%20strawberry%202%2018%2016_zpsck

compare%20top%20right%20acro%202%2018%20

Compare%20large%20teal%202%2018%2016_zps

compare%20teal%20medium%202%2018%2016_zp

horizontal%20acro%20compare%202%2018%201

• Like 1

Adding (2) 40 gallon tanks to the system that I got from a forum member. They will operate as a display and sump which will get water from the left side overflow from the 220 and then that water will empty back into the main 55 gallon sump. I installed a ball valve in the original overflow pipe and then put a "T" before and after the ball valve. By shutting the ball valve the water will then drain into the 40 gallon sump through a bulk head. Another bulk head was installed on the 40 gallon sump to return water back into the "T" fitting after the ball valve. Sounds complicated but it was an easy way to add 60+ more gallons of water volume. Not exactly sure how I'm going to use them though. Perhaps for some species that I can't have in the Reef. Below are some pictures to show what I mean.

20160305_192554_zps026suzag.jpg

sump_zpsmfkahthj.png

• 7 months later...

Well, it's been a while and the racing season is finally over so I've got more time to look after the aquarium. It's been pretty much on autoflight since about march so other than my 40 gallon water change every 3-4 weeks and cleaning equipment it's been taking care of itself. I thought I would provide a few shots of the growth. Several pieces have grown more than a few inches in a short amount of time. Fantastic!

Keep in mind I had just fed the fish so the water is a bit saturated with food.

20161013_100923_zpsmznfiywq.jpg

20161013_100935_zpsrjpqbej7.jpg

20161013_100946_zpsrqs7coao.jpg

20161013_100939_zpsuxvheptd.jpg

20161013_101013_zpsdds815hm.jpg

I've got the Large Hammer coral (softball size with 9+ heads) and the Large Frogspawn (slightly smaller than a softball as seen middle of the full tank shot) for sale. I'm increasing flow in the tank now and they can't fully extend. Have been growing super fast as has everything in the tank.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Well folks, it's a day I will probably live to regret but I need to sell my reef system.  My racing this year had me traveling all across the country and next year will probably be an even more hectic schedule plus we will be taking more trips in the RV.

I just had a little algae outbreak that the system is recovery fantastic but I lost a couple corals.  The colonies are HUGE now!!!!   I will take $2000 for the whole system, including all supplies, pumps, sumps, skimmers, livestock, LED lighting etc.   If it doesn't sell to a member here within a month or so then my brother has offered me $1800 for the system but I have to move everything to his house since he is medically retired from the military he has limited mobility.  I think a member here will have the knowledge to take care of the system the way it deserves but my brother will be relying on a local company to help care for it and I really don't think it will work as well as if it were to go to somebody that will be able to look after it themselves.

There shouldn't be too many questions as everything is documented pretty well.  I have RO/DI system that works flawlessly and it goes as well.  I will help loading into your trailer/vehicle but I will NOT help move the tank.  My back is recovering from an incident in the race car and I'm not taking a chance in hurting my recovery.  4 guys moved it in and it will take 4 guys to move it out :).  Thanks to everybody for the help over the last couple years but time moves on and I want somebody to enjoy this beautify system as much as I did.  

I will return for sure.  The growth in the last 6 months has been insane.  I just can't find the time to care for the system that I once had.  With me being gone for 4-5 days per race event plus some vacations I'm taking next year there is just no way I will be able to do it.

I might entertain selling the livestock and then the system separately.  There is something like 400 lbs of premium shaped live rock IIRC.  Coral is everywhere and the RTBA are super huge.  Admittedly there has been too little time put to the tank but I'm  bringing it back up to 100% which is very close.  The system really takes care of itself so well it is easy to turn a blind eye to it for extended periods which is never a good thing with reef systems as you all know.

I'd sell the livestock for $1000 including fish.  For you trading folks you could probably double your money and still have plenty of frags to last for several frag swaps.