Dropping in to introduce myself

lalleman

Hello there,

I've been out of the reef obsession for a couple of years as I was stationed over seas but now back in the states and enjoying life as a college student again! (While making much more money this time) I'm glad to see there is a club/society, was a bit worried starting up again in the Midwest as it's my first time living here. Funny thing is, the wife and I were on the fence about getting back into it and then we passed a lfs that handles reef tanks, stopped, and many bucks later, here we are!

I'm am very interested in supporting this society, as I think they make the community better and the experiences learned are much better than reading blog after blog. I do have a question though, is the society centralized near Indy? I live in Lafayette so that wouldn't be too bad. We were part of a community when we lived in Maine but it was like 3 to 4 hour drives to attend any events, which wasn't bad every now and then but did get tiresome after awhile.

Anyway, very nice site and good information, look forward to meeting some of you.

Lee

Welcome to the club. Not all of us live in Indy. I live over by Kokomo and am scheduled to host in August.

Wwlcome. Good to have you here. I'm guessing you discovered Aquarium World? I haven't been there in awhile but it seemed like a nice place as far as variety and tanks looking nice and clean when I stopped by on the way back from Chicago last year.

Like Bud said most meets are in the Indianapolis area but that is due to probably 85% of our members being here and it's on a volunteer basis so it's just how it works out. We do have a few people up there. I want to say 5 or 6 in Lafayette.

Fortunately for you most of the remaining meets for the year including our Summer social which I highly recommend attending on June 13th as just about everyone will be there are either up north or on the north side of Indy in the Carmel/Fishers area so the drive should be no more than an hour. I think we had 60 some at the last social and its a great way to match all these names to faces.

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing you at a meeting. June meeting is our summer social and a great time to get to meet lots of fellow club members and thier families. Bring the whole family. See the meetin notices for more details. It will be at my house in W. Carmel, 96th st and Michigan area. So not too far for you to drive. Swimming pool will be open too!

Post and let us know about your current set up too.

Wanted to go big but the wife was agaisnt it....for now.....but found a good deal on a 29g biocube, sort of like the set up and its moddability. It's cycling now so in the research, forum lurking part of it while staring in the tank looking for new critters. I do like my aquascaping this time, normally takes me weeks to find a setup I enjoy but I think this works. As far as meetings go, we enjoy them and didn't mind the drives in Maine, just every other weekend driving 4 hours got tiring, but every now and then it's nice.

ySIEecL.jpg?2

Looking good! I like the little cave and the color on some of your rock you have already. You will be in good shape headed to meetings here in Indiana then, you should be under 2 hours from Lafayette. The June social is a cool meeting to attend to get to meet the members. I just got your membership payment proof and am rebooting the computer to get you processed! Welcome to the club!

Welcome aboard. A great group of aqua nuts. But then you have to be at least a little nuts to have a saltwater tank in a land locked place like indiana. The meetings are great. You get to meet alot of members always something new to learn. A 29 is not a bad start. Lol I made the leap 6 month's ago with a 40b and we'll I'm nuts because I'm working on a 90 gal as we speak. if you need help or just have a question their alot of members with some time under their belts and can point you in the right direction. Good luck and hope to see you soon.

Definitely like the rockwork, very similar to what I did in my first tank, a red sea max 34g.

What lights are on that? I've seen so many options on the bc29.

For now I have the stock lighting with 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue, 24 watt 10,000K Daylight, 0.75 watt Lunar Blue LED Bar and I added 4 more TruLumen LED strips, half white, half blue. Plenty for softies as I get my feet wet again. If all goes well I will probably upgrade to one of those all in one hangover LED lights, the brand escapes me as I'm not familiar with them but seem perfect for a square tank.

Cool and Welcome! KnightHawkz is up there I know not sure about everyone else. At one time there was talk about a map showing member locations but there are some survivalist here and they are worried about big brother using the map app to locate them. lol!

Bummer on the summer social as I will be driving back from Florida at that time and wont be able to make it.

As for leaps to tanks I went from a 55 to a 220!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...