Aiptasia removal

I purchased a a few corals at the frag swap that I have in my tank. Well today I noticed that one had aiptasia growning on the rock it was attached to. Well after looking one of the other corals also has aiptasia growing on it. Looks like it has 3 very small one's around it and now on my live rock. I looked them over before placing in my tank, but obviously I missed them. Could be more but I may not be able to see them if they are behind my live rock.

Anyway I am hoping that you guys can tell me the easiest and the cheapest way to get rid on them. I noticed this when I noticed my my green candy cane coral was not looking to good. I noticed the aiptasia growing right underneath the coral.

I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Armour

I take Kalkwasser powder and mix it with tank water to make it into a thick toothpaste type consistency. Pull the live rock out and cake it on there where the aptasia is, or use a syringe and inject it if the rock can't be removed. Basically make a home made Joes Juice.

If it can be done our of the water, it would prevent the aptasia from releasing any spores or whatever...

Good luck!

I've done the same with pretty much 100% success. They key is not letting too many get a foothold before you go after them. Just remember the kalk will raise ph so don't go crazy with it if you have several.

I use a kids medicine syringe and it works well. 1/8" opening fills small holes on a rock quickly.

That is not a good way at all both of those tear at the aiptasia to eat it then little pieces get torn off then float around the tank in land somewhere else and start growing another aiptasia a lot of personal experience with that the best ways are the calculus or powder or the laser because it literally melts and burns the aiptasia so it cannot spread and reproduce

That is not a good way at all both of those tear at the aiptasia to eat it then little pieces get torn off then float around the tank in land somewhere else and start growing another aiptasia a lot of personal experience with that the best ways are the calculus or powder or the laser because it literally melts and burns the aiptasia so it cannot spread and reproduce

Wait, are you suggesting pep shrimp or a cbb is a bad way to remove aptasia? I sure hope not

No they will eat them they just spread them in the process of eating them which is good for the shrimp or the copper band because it means more food for them just not good in an aquarium setting

Matt I would completely disagree with you on that. Laser, kalk or zappers are not effective ways to kill aptasia, especially a zapper. If your thoughts were true coral reefs would be covered with aptasia in the wild.

• Like 1

I actually just killed two with straight distilled white vinegar. I used one of my insulin syringes and jabbed him with about 1 cc of vinegar. No ph spike and it dissipates into the water column almost instantly. My insulin syringes seem to work best because the second one retracted into his hole before I could jab him. The needle is incredibly fine and allows for me to follow him into even the smallest hole.