Niagara Falls noises from overflow into sump/refugium

PetesFolly

Ok, so I thought I had this all figured out by getting a CPR102 overflow in order to increase the amount of flow to my sump and then back the tank. The good...it was fairly quiet. The bad...it didn't like my wave makers (would shut down the TOM Aqualifter that you have to use with the CPR overflow) and barely kept enough water in the sump for the return pump to pump back to the tank (Jebao 9000 DC pump). At a minimum setting (1 out of 6) it should be 716GPH and the CPR102 overflow was rated at 1200GPH. The overflow would not lower very much either, so I had to raise the water level of the tank which made me nervous with the wave makers. I also cut slots into the overflow in the tank in order not to raise the water level as much...still did not improve things. So, I purchased an ES-PF-1200 traditional siphon tube overflow that has a max flow rating of 1000GPH. It is doing much better at getting water to the sump and I was actually able to increase the return pump to 2 out of 6 and doubled the water level of the sump at the same time. The problem is...it is very loud. I know that these can gurgle and such, but the bulk heads have a piece of PVC pipe with a tube the inside to reduce the gurgling. Actually works fairly well. The issue is the noise from the water entering the sump. Sounds like Niagra Falls (may be a little exaggerated but not much). My question is, is there a DIY solution to reduce the noise? I have heard of using a french drain or making a table with a sponge on top that sits just above the water level.

My set up:

125G mixed reef with a Jebao RW-8 and RW-15 wave makers

Trigger sump/refugium Trigger Systems Ruby Sump 30x14x15, accepts two drains into two filter socks.

Jebao DC 9000 return pump T-split into two returns: clear plastic tubing 3/4"

Eshoppes PF-1200 overflow, double siphon, two 1" drains, flexible tubing.

Thanks!

No they are not, was afraid that might affect the flow but my previous sump had a french drain (not sure if that is what you call it; pvc with slots below the water line). Good suggestion though. I think I may give that a try. I might even cut some slots in the portion that will be under water.

• 3 years later...

Amazing.  I have exactly the same overflow, similar sump, and opposite problem.  My drain inlets are insanely loud with the OEM down tubes and sponges.  I don't know if the sump side is quiet or not because I can't hear it over the roaring, sucking sounds from the overflow box!

Crazy.  The noise form the overflow splashing into the pump was taken care of by extending the overflow tubes below the waterline in the refugium.  I never was able to take care of the problem with the noice from the top of the overflow as you described.  In my new tank I will be drilling through the back of the tank and using the new Eshoppes eclipse overflows and getting rid of the flexible tubing for hard plumbing.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eclipse-l-overflow-box-1000-gph-eshopps.html

1 hour ago, Budman said:

Build a gurgle buster to quit the drain in an overflow box 

BTDT.  Twin Stockman standpipes actually.  Half a dozen variations.  None worked.  The trouble seems to be balancing the flow on a twin drain.  If they’re out of balance, one ends up pulling down too far and sucking air under the cap then surging back and forth.  Even with almost equal plumbing it’s hard to get them tuned just right and it seems like it’s very sensitive to any variation.  I think that with a single drain it would be easier to make work, but I can’t find one with a high enough flow rate and a single drain.  Besides, I like the idea of two drain lines for some redundancy.

1 hour ago, SilentNight1793 said:

Do your drain lines have a valve on them that you can adjust the amount of flow going down them?

No, they go into filter socks in the sump but there is nothing to control the outflow.  I see where you're going on this.  What type of valve would you put on there?  Ball valves are rather imprecise and gate valves are really large.

Premium has some gate valves that are smaller. They have some that are 1/2" up to 2" pipe I do believe. I would recommend the gate valve over the ball valve as the ball valve can get build up and will make it hard to turn later on down the road. I currently have a gate valve on my bean animal overflow. If the water level isn't just right I get the same gurgling noise. I just adjust the gate valve a little to allow less water down and it goes silent.