Deep Blue Rimless 80g Build

After the many hours of setting up the warehouse I have finally found a few minutes here and there to begin the build of my 80g rimless office tank. This tank will be sps / clam dominated, although it may end up housing a few LPS or soft corals as well.

The lights were hung first. I decided to go with the ReefBrite 36" Halide Hybrid fixture. This is the halide portion only right now, but the ReefBrite LED's will be added later, with one strip down the front of the fixture and a strip down the back of the fixture.

14982174063_6f9d914951_o.jpg

Next was the sump install. I went with an eshopps rs-200 sump as I wanted a 30" sump instead of a 36" for extra space in the stand below. The eshopps allows for a good size protein skimmer in that length, and is an awesome bang for the buck sump! An algal turf scrubber will eventually be installed, but most likely not for the first 6-8 weeks of the tank being up and running.

14981581104_6eedb2881e_o.jpg

A Tunze Silence (Sicce built) 1073.02 return pump at 652gph is being used for the return. This will keep be a nice slow flow through the sump to keep turbulence and noise down, but still provide ample turnover per hour for the skimmer, heater, and any other filtration I use to do their job. Everything was connected using silicone tubing. While the silicone tubing isn't cheap, there is no better way to plumb a smaller system such as this. It's super easy to work with, bends great without kinking, and with the aid of a little bit of silicone grease it glides on and off the barbed fittings with ease.

14981580994_08e84bfc6c_o.jpg

I chose to go with Tropic Eden Reefflakes substrate, which is almost identical to CaribSea Special Grade in size due to this being a high flow reef. However, due to the tanks lower height I chose to go with only 1/2" to 1" coverage all over.

15416290648_bca9cba52c_o.jpg

And lastly I will be running 2 x Vortech MP10es pumps to start with. This will be plenty of flow with the intended aquascape and smaller pieces of sps at first. As the tank matures and grows out more flow will be needed at which that time I'll determine which direction I go, possibly moving these MP10's to the back wall with bigger pumps on the sides. Finally starting to fill with water!

15603236192_cda0cef4e1_o.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've added in a few more colonies since the last update, and have put the skimmer on. Heat is starting to become a little bit of an issue and will see if a clip on fan at the top of the sump will solve the issue and I won't need a chiller With 2 x 250's I probably wouldn't even need the fan, but the 2 x 400's are definitely adding some heat.

Matt, I will take some pics of the PC Rainbow over the next 6-8 weeks so I can document the changes in it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...