What do you feed your fish?

mdelawter

I've noticed on those days that I feed flake to my fish, the protein skimmer goes crazy. Is flake the devil, a necessary evil, or am I over feeding on flake?

The other items I use to feed are Mysis shrimp and pellet seaweed, and if I don't use flake with those, my skimmer pulls out a lot less from the tank.

I started using LRS Reef Frenzy almost a year ago and won't use anything else. I do feed my carpet nem silversides and reefchilli to my filter feeders but my fish love it.

Agree on all of the above

I use a few different kinds of flake (forumal 2, primer reef, and picked up some cobalt stuff yesterday), as well as some pellets, and mysis/silver sides. I rotate around on the foods, and mostly use the frozen for corals.

It doesn't take much food. Just feed a tiny bit, let them eat it, then give them a tiny bit more. Once they stop showing intrest, quit. They will always act like they are starving, but I just feed small amounts 2 or 3 times a day.

I switch up foods fairly often. Cobalt for flake food, Rods frozen, live brine shrimp (whenever I hatch a batch), amphipods/copepods quarterly, frozen red seaweed and seaveggies for the tang.

Once every other week I'll dump some phytoplankton in to help feed the copepod population

Reef frenzy, cyclopeeze, reef roids and reef chili. Every once in a while I will blend up a silverside and dump it in.

I have a strange feeding routine.

Once per week or as needed, I mix the following frozen foods:

Emerald Entre
Formula 1 or 2 frozen cubes (cannot recall)

Mysis

Spirulina Brine
Brine
Squid
Bloodworms
And a couple others I cannot remember

I break of pieces in to a big clear cup, microwave and mix. Drain out as much water as possible, then fill with garlic. I feed with Turkey Baster. The only flakes I occasionally feed are Formula 2.

I also use Nori sheets from Kroger to supplement tangs/angels

• 5 weeks later...

I DIY my food using fresh seafood items from Krogers and I also include some of the larger frozen food packs to the blend i.e. Krill, etc. Lastly, I add Omega flake food to my blended mush as it has Spirulina for dietary enrichment.

I break of pieces in to a big clear cup, microwave and mix. Drain out as much water as possible, then fill with garlic. I feed with Turkey Baster. The only flakes I occasionally feed are Formula 2.

Why microwave? Exposing the foods to heat degrades some qualities of the very nutrients you are trying to provide. Esp. your water soluble ones like B and C.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Heavily dependent on what livestock you have. I stopped using flake a while ago, fish never seemed the interested and it would just get blown around the tank. Now I use NLS pellets, Hikari algae extreme, cyclopeeze and my own frozen mix (shrimp, mussel, squid).