Time for a new home computer...

ryansweet

Should I add some fuel to the flames by adding both my laptop and workstation run Linux Mint? On both I run KVM (virtualization server), so I run a Windows 7 VM for applications that I don't want to take the time to make run in Mint.

Ryansweet, if you like a MAC get a MAC, if you are comfortable with Windoze run that...Microsoft has kept me gainfully employed for 30+ years, so it is hard for me to talk against that. I'm not an Apple fan at all, my wife and kids are (The traitors), but not I. I prefer Linux because I like the freedom to explore and tinker the way I want to operate, not the way someone off in some research department of a big company thinks I should. Another reason I like running Linux is the hardware requirements are not so demanding, so you can run very well on significantly cheaper hardware, which lowers your overall cost. My new workstation (built this year) was all top of the line components in March. I process Images and video as well as play big games like Skyrim, Eve Online...I run a weather station and I will most likely build my aquarium monitor based on Linux.

The bottom line here is be honest with yourself about what you are going to use it for and your answer will become clear. Go to Best Buy and Frys, and play with the MACs, Play with the other systems.

• Like 1

I received a "recall" notice from Apple. Mine was working fine, but they made the still repairs and also replaced my power supply which they said was going to fail. All free, in less than a week.

I contrast this with a Dell laptop that came without enough RAM to run Vista and a chassis that was not strong enough to keep the motherboard from flexing & cracking. Dell was aware of both problems and refused to repair either.

Not trying to pick a fight with anyone - just sharing my experiences.

I love my PC at work, but we have a staff of knowledgeable professionals that keep it running so all I have to do is use it as the tool it's intended to be.

I should report your post Hooked!!! hehehe

Dell is the Walmart of PC's They have sucked since they went online only and even though they now sell in stores again their quality is horrible. Comparing Dell to Apple is like a Honda Solace to the new Stingray Vette. They both get you there but which do you want to be seen in?

How's that joke go about mopeds and.......

Here's my opinion. Use the operating system that you're comfortable with. If you've been using Windows and never touched a Mac, buy a Windows machine. If you've been using Mac and never touched a Windows machine, buy a Mac.

Spec wise, I would also suggest an i5 and a minimum of 4-6Gb of RAM. As far as hard disk storage, it's up to you. Every pre-built PC I've seen on the market lately has had a 1Tb HDD, I have a feeling that you'll have a hard time filling that up with Word docs and Excel sheets.

I think the best way to settle the Desktop vs Laptop/Portable is going to be to determine how often you plan to be traveling and needing a machine.

• Like 1

Every brand has a million models too. You get what you pay for in that sense. Chevy Cobalt - VS - Chevy Corvette

Dell Inspirons are junk speaking from xp. I use the business laptops (Latitudes) at work and they are solid IME.

I can vouch for latitude series as well. I have one circa 2005 w a celeron M that is an old 4:3 with a matte screen I use for tuning my car. Its slid off my seat and slammed into the floor under panicked braking, fallen off a fender onto the ground...built like a rock.

Just find something you like and buy it... there's probably 1500 models on the market at this instant, you can compare and contrast all day and still not whittle it down before the next Gen comes along. You need memory and CPU power predominantly. Stay away from the cheap stuff which doesn't sound like it'll be a problem and you should have decent luck.