Dogum's 200 Deep Dimension build

dogum99

• 2 weeks later...

After 4 days of running a poly filter I just did an 80ish gallon water change. Until I yesterday I had no control of my skimmer it would just over flow no matter the setting. Pretty sure there was something chemical going on.

If your skimmer is overflowing do the water changes through the skimmer. Use the DC pump to where the foam is just overflowing slowly and drain the water out of your skimmer drain, this way you will for sure get the chemical out, then as your doing this you can increase the DC pump until its working normally full blast. Once you get to that point you should be pretty clear, especially if your running your poly filter. Although this post may be a day late and a dollar short : )

Yeah I gotta get the skimmer under control. If it goes crazy it hits the top of the stand and water splatters all over place and i get puddles. I'm seriously thinking about gluing a frisbee above it so the water drips back down into the sump lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Looks good. I would almost bet the micro's are coming from one of two things. Its in to deep of water or its reacting to something in the water........my bet is something coming off that rock wall. Eventually it'll stop though.

Its my skimmer. It is still overflowing too not as bad. I am at the point that the cup fills up and I can dump it. Baby steps now. It is moving in the right direction though. I just changed out the carbon over the weekend again. Hope that will help as well. Will probably do another good sized water change again soon as it seems to help.

I would do a skimmer water change and pull that crap out for good. Just let your skimmer drain whatever it is causing the reaction and let it drain from the collection cup. It takes longer but you won't have to deal with the headache after you do this.......generally : ) Usually your skimmer starts off pulling out quite a bit and the more and more you pull out the lower the foam head will get until its skimming normally.

Finally not filling up the whole collection cup in half a day. I hope whatever is/was in my tank is mostly gone. I had about an inch this morning which it had been always full in the past. I think that new carbon helped tons along with being able to keep up on dumping the collection cup.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With the advice of Jeremy of running my skimmer full open for 2 weeks and pulling off my drain plug and letting it just drain back in the sump it seems I have an operational skimmer finally....Sheesh what a pain in the ass lol.

Now to get to the root of the microbubbles. I get a lot a velocity from the return. Also the skimmer seems to drop a lot of bubbles. Could the return pump or plumbing itself be causing the issue? I'll take some pictures later. Ideas? GO!

• 2 weeks later...

Bought me a big ole fat Blue throat Triggerfish from Modern last Friday. Had an itch to get something new like a coral or something and saw it in there. I just couldn't help myself lol. Still hasn't really came out I get glimpses here and there.

Couple pics I snapped.
0EF229DD-D431-476C-B626-CCA5357A0DB4.jpg

392437BB-489A-445F-9AB5-BD01908784A6.jpg

https://youtu.be/C9fye_SjxYE

Also my first real skimmer cup clean out I had I would say some very sticky residue on the inside of the cup. I spent 15 mins scrubbing just a small area before giving up. I'm guessing it's what is and has been giving me fits for the past 3 months. At least the skimmer is pulling it out. Hopefully I can get it off the collection cup. Thoughts?
5554F432-FEF4-4B23-9966-55E06CA4ED76.jpg