What salt to use?

Getting about time to buy another bucket of salt and was looking at the different ones PA sales and came a cross the ESV B-Ionic Seawater System 200 gal. unit and was wondering if anyone uses it.

I currently use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and it seems to be working ok but was wondering if the ESV is better.

Can see ESV point where there maybe chemical variations in other brands from batch to batch and from settling in each bucket where as with theirs you are mixing the chemicals in as you make the water.( only extra step I could see is you should test the new water at the end to be sure it checks out ok)

Cost a little more but at 5 cents per gallon more it may be worth it.

Anyone that uses it have any pros or cons about it or should I just stick with the Coral Pro.

Being used in a tank with fish and a variety of different corals.

THANKS

Like you, I have heard a lot of good about the ESV. But, I have never used

I am using the Seachem Aqua Vitro Salinity, it runs 72.99 for 225 gallons at 1.026 (35%). Have to take that in to account when figuring cost as most salts estimate it at a lower salinity. PA does not advertise on their site because they can not ship do to agreements with Seachem but you can call and order, then pick up. It is a very good product and as long as they make it, I will not use another. They have a guaranteed batch analysis on each bucket and a batch code that you can look up online. I love it!!

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/salinity.html

I'm in the same boat using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. I've thought about switching up to the Salinity salt because it's batch label and Red Sea brought up the prices the past few months. Think it was $52 a bucket everywhere before and now it's $65+.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the ESV salt not the one that really burns your skin if you get it on you? I seem to remember reading that if you get it on your hands or arms while mixing that it feels like your hands/arms are burning?

ESV is the liquid, has to be super concentrated w as small as its packaged. Wouldn't surprise me.

Not all of it is liquid. The salt is there but you add some of the elements that tend to settle out with other salts in with a liquid. Now if your mixing 200 gallons at a time.....That's no worry!

I'm in the same boat using Red Sea Coral Pro salt. I've thought about switching up to the Salinity salt because it's batch label and Red Sea brought up the prices the past few months. Think it was $52 a bucket everywhere before and now it's $65+.

Was thinking of picking it up at PA (since they got the best prices and did not want to pay to ship a heavy bucket) but then I got to looking on http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15483 and seen they had it for the same price with free shipping and as a BONUS, thanks to INDMAS frag swap, you can use your $20 gift certificate(from gift bag) . So you get it $20 cheaper, no sales tax and delivered right to your door.

That is a good example of comparing price for gallons mixed. That is normally $65 for 175 gallons mixed at 1.021. Salinity is cheaper.

Like you, I have heard a lot of good about the ESV. But, I have never used

I am using the Seachem Aqua Vitro Salinity, it runs 72.99 for 225 gallons at 1.026 (35%). Have to take that in to account when figuring cost as most salts estimate it at a lower salinity. PA does not advertise on their site because they can not ship do to agreements with Seachem but you can call and order, then pick up. It is a very good product and as long as they make it, I will not use another. They have a guaranteed batch analysis on each bucket and a batch code that you can look up online. I love it!!

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/salinity.html

does PA stock it and is $72.99 their price?

Just a note. The salinity lit me up when I got some on my arm, while sweating.

That's because Salinity is an anhydrous mix w almost no moisture content. Calcium chloride produces heat when it comes into contact w water.

Salinity has to be sold at a brick and mortar location through seachem's dealer program. Online sales are prohibited.

• Like 1

Yes, they have it for $72.99! You just have to go ask for it or call. They can not ship so, they do not have it on the website. I buy mine from them

The whole AquaVitro line was created for your LFS. They are not to be sold online and that's why you won't see it on any web sites. as SeaChem was helping out the local LFS. When you went to your LFS and saw it for 30% more than online, then you'd buy online and not support local business. I like what they did with this product line and helps LFS to have a product that is good and they aren't competing with online vendors with no overhead.

I have been using I.O. for a few years now. I mix 150 gallons at a time, get it to temperature, and test/dose to get my levels where I want before doing my water changes. using 1" hose and a couple of pumps, I can do the water change in 40 minutes. I feed the hell out of my tank, so I am usually doing a minimum two water changes a month, if not more.

I realize I'm a bit late since you've already made your purchase, but thought I'd give my feedback since I'm using ESV Seawater(3rd box). My last three salts in order have been Red Sea Coral Pro, DD H2Ocean(scratch and dent from PA), and finally ESV Seawater. Here are a few reasons why I prefer this salt over the others I've used:

- It mixes cleanly and can do a water change minutes after the last additive is added.

- It's consistent. I check parameters on my first water change and never again the rest of the batch.

- I keep my dKH at 7 and this mixes around 9.