The reason Uncle Bill's will never be a sponser

Jtroutt19

Just though everyone should be informed about something I learned a little while ago. The owner of this company is not focused on developing a relationship with this or any other club in the area. All this man cares about is the moeny, he does not even care about the customer. The markup on live stock including live rock is stupid crazy. There is a 100% markup on saltwater fish and corals. Meaning that 59.99 flame angel was only $29. They charge 6.99/lb on LR. and pay like ~1.99/lb for it. Every once and a while they will drop the prices if items because it has been in the store for to long. Freshwater is even worse, 150% markup. That $9.99 cichlid really 2.99. Now I understand businesses having to make some money. But this kind of markup is insane. Keep your buisness at premium aquatics and the other places that have reasonable prices on livestock and care about hobbyists! I don't have details on dry goods but i will let you know this, a medium size Hydor Koralia PH will run you $70 at uncle bill's while its a little over $30 at premium Aquatics.

Did you get fired? Seems a little disgruntled... You think that PA isn't doing the same mark up? That's how they pay employees, rent, and power. They are not going to do that with a 20% mark up. Some of these places sale so little I am not sure how 100% keeps them going.

They've always been that way... Same goes for The Reef.

The reef has some knowledge and a decent selection to offer at least, Uncle bills pretty much just sucks.

Don't be surprised if PA has incredible margins like that as well they just get better deals due to the raw volume I'm guessing...as a matter of fact from a few things they got from me in the past it was more like 300%+ once I saw it in their tanks but it is what it is. They so have some good deals on things as well so in the end you probably even out.

Yeah I am a little disgruntled. I got fired for going the extra mile and helping customer to keep her money in the store. And upon further looking into they just needed a reason to express favoritism and give some one else my hours. Employees also get 10% commission on what they sell. Trust me I am not saying that businesses should break even and charge just a little amount to give customers a deal and not make any money. But that kind of markup seems ludicrous in my opinion.

and i don't have some kind of grudge against them just thought I would let everyone know about the things that bugged me when I did work there. Unfortunately I still buy certain things from there for some of my other pets but my aquatic business now goes to PA.

Lots of things to consider when running a business. Shane mentioned many and another big one on livestock is losses. Whether you're doing everything right or not, you'll always have losses on fish and coral.

i.e....That Flame Angel they pay $29 for and sell for $59. They have 1 die in a batch of 3 and they break even. (That's not considering building, utilities, taxes, employees, insurance, and I'm likely missing a lot of other overhead) At the surface many things seem simple but in fact they are not.

Pa can sell at lower margins because of less operational expenses an they don't have a prime location or storefront . They don't need it for the customer base they are competing for . I couldn't see standin out front of bills waiting on it to open like we all do at pa .. Lol

PA also lacks a lot of staff members to wait on customers except on a couple days of the week. That being said, I like going to PA for the prices.

Bill's still does have high pricing compared to other local stores (except PA) and fish costs too (More than 100% on fish from what I know on wholesale costs).

and i don't have some kind of grudge against them just thought I would let everyone know about the things that bugged me when I did work there. Unfortunately I still buy certain things from there for some of my other pets but my aquatic business now goes to PA.

Then why didn't you spill the beans before you parted ways?

Sorry to hear about you being let go.

I'm in a high mark up business myself and I'm sure everyone has heard the term market price. Most stores charge a price that the other stores all will charge. Premium has lower over head, no real store front so they can charge less. I have stated the same thing on the price of corals that the store front sales but then you see other stores all charging the same things so that is why they charge what they do. Its market price. This leaves it up to the store to buy things they sales at the price they can. So as a consumer do you really think that gas is is $3.75, or that car is worth $25,000. True there is the volume argument like Wal-Mart but Wal-Mart has some of the most aggressive pressures on manufactures and tell suppliers this is what we will pay or we wont carry your product. Ok economics lecture over.

Then why didn't you spill the beans before you parted ways?

Because i was working on trying to get the club a discount up there. I was assuming that a local business would be striving to attract people from the community. I got bitched at for telling customers that were new to the hobby about INDMAS. I was trying to make some positive change to make the company more successful.

I wont be buying much at UB but $1 per gallon tanks and clearance items from this point, but it wasnt because of this post. Anyone who has ever shopped there would know that their markups on pets is crazy and they get their animals from "puppy mills" and not legitimate breeders. If you want a purebread dog, your best source would still be the AKC, IMO. +1 for PA on everything said except for the sometimes sketchy customer service I get when I simply have a question about a product they sell before I invest in it. I have had good service from a few folks over there as well, Im sure it is like that everywhere you go though. I will still frequent PA over UB any day.

Because i was working on trying to get the club a discount up there. I was assuming that a local business would be striving to attract people from the community. I got bitched at for telling customers that were new to the hobby about INDMAS. I was trying to make some positive change to make the company more successful.

HAHA maybe thats why they haven't called me back about my application... Probably shouldn't of told them I was a staff member lol. I know if i got a job there, i would tell everyone about INDMAS, Uncle Bills is where i first heard of it myself....

3x markup is pretty much standard in the industry on a lot of livestock. Typical wholesalers only give credit on fish dead in the bag and the store has to absorb the rest of the loss. Dry goods have very little markup so they have to offset this and the higher turnover on live goods makes it a no brainer.

As for your experience with UB, look at it an an opportunity to move on to something better.

Damn Scott... almost have my speach down. I have never been fired but have done a lot of it and I always tell them that "hopefully you can find a job more suited to your skill set". I always hated to fire a guy that was trying and just unable to do the job but some, I was dancing on the inside.

Stores charge what the market will bear. If that doesn't work then prices with either drop or the stores in question will simply move on to another product that will sell.

I don't and probably won't ever buy anything from UBs because of their history and the same goes for all the big chains in my book. There is nothing convenient about any of them when it comes to saltwater.

There are other quality choices in this state so you can probably guess who gets my money. As an example, I just purchased the full setup of my RODI unit from PA. The main reason being is they are local. I paid $264 for it. I found one online for $244, but they had a $19.95 shipping charge, so no savings to be had really. I try to buy local wherever I can, that way it keeps the money here in our local economy. I consider anything within 100mi as local and that is my test.

I find it sad that UBs still finds a way to survive.

Oh btw between 5/15 and 5/19 I'll be on the gulf coast (Pensacola to New Orleans) if anyone needs anything.

You got in trouble for telling folks of INDMAS! I AM GOING TO START A RIOT THERE TONIGHT!! JERKS! :)

I was asked to leave Uncle Bills in greenwood for helping customers with fish and coral questions. I was asked about my shirt and in my little speal about INDMAS I slipped and told them at the time I was the Education Chair and then got pounded by questions...I was then told I wasn't an employee and I didn't seen to share my "opinions" in their store...I was just telling a few people what kind of lighting and all that they needed.. BOO TO THEM! :)

Guest Willy

You got in trouble for telling folks of INDMAS! I AM GOING TO START A RIOT THERE TONIGHT!! JERKS! :)

I was asked to leave Uncle Bills in greenwood for helping customers with fish and coral questions. I was asked about my shirt and in my little speal about INDMAS I slipped and told them at the time I was the Education Chair and then got pounded by questions...I was then told I wasn't an employee and I didn't seen to share my "opinions" in their store...I was just telling a few people what kind of lighting and all that they needed.. BOO TO THEM! :)

Dave, you can come help me out any time. I won't kick you out for helping!!

What UB was that? I've had nothing but good discussions with 95% of the emplyees there. I hate the price but I know I can also go else where. I enjoy seeing what they have, asking questions, and walking out without buying anything.

Hum.. They get backed up pretty quick as they usually only have two to three working and each person can take up to 15min each and the popularity of both salt and fresh it fills up. I'm usually ok but did suggest a ticket system to ensure your place in the line while you search around.

I just avoid UB. The dogs they bring in is enough of a reason to not step foot in the door.

I'd rather support PA who has been great to the club and respects the hobby and hobbyist.

+200!!!!!!

PA sells dogs? Hehe

Without sounding like a fanboy we got our dog there three months ago. He is a Slky Maltese and came with full history, vet work up, records of shots, breeder information, a health warranty for one year, free I'D tag, full shampoo and grooming, and a free vet check up within 30 days.

Like everything else everyone's experiences are different and I do agree with you on PA. I've bought more and more there as of late, and the service has been super.