Anyone have experience with buffing acrylic?

Picking up some of the big items for my build tomorrow in Wisconsin and one of the next steps is buffing out the inside/outside of the aquarium before I start the aquascaping/plumbing. I just ordered 64 oz. containers of Novus 1, Novus 2, and Novus 3. Also picked up a couple of the following buffing kits:

http://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7232-Plastic-Polish-Buffing/dp/B002UCYS2C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354889744&sr=8-2&keywords=Novus+buffing+kit

None of the scratches are really deep on my display tank, just have some small scratches here and there and would like it as perfect as possible from the start. I at least have my frag tank to test it out on first!

Fine....I'll stop acting like a baby and man up <_<

I'll find out soon enough. Looked up my Dewault drill and it runs 0-600 RPM on the first speed so I'll use that to keep under the 1000 RPM. I've got a website I've got partially up. I'll document the process step by step and add an article to a DIY section once finished in a week or so.

I've got a dual action polisher you're welcome to use. It makes it almost impossible to trash a finish if you're paying at least a little attention.

That would be great. What RPM does it run at? Should I be worried about it heating up the acrylic? Going to be at party tomorrow?

Ok...Have had some solid time to practice buffing today on my frag tank. I also went ahead and practiced on my top of DT because it had some gouges from being moved around by myself/previous owner in storage. Figure I'd make it perfectly clear so I don't lose any light penetration from the LEDs. That being said, here's process I followed:

- Cleaned off surface with Novus 1 cleaner

- Any deep scratches, I wet sanded with 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper with a block of acrylic

- Applied Novus 3 by hand and used some elbow grease, followed by hand buffing

- Applied Novus 3 with applicator wool pad on drill, buffed in, and then wiped any remaining off by hand

- Applied Novus 3 with applicactor wool pad (new one) on drill, buffed in, and then wiped remaining off by hand

- Last stage of process I wiped down with Novus 1 and brought out all of its beauty!

Sand papers:

IMG_2037.jpg

Sand block and rinsed in water often:

IMG_2038.jpg

Spot sanded deep scratches (Weld-On in this case from tank being built):

IMG_2039.jpg

Wiped off and cloudy:

IMG_2035.jpg

Applied Novus 3 by hand vertically/horizontally and wiped off:

IMG_2040.jpg

Novus 3 an dapplicator, Drill with applicator wool:

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

Applied:

IMG_2043.jpg

Wiped:

IMG_2044.jpg

Then same process on Novus 2, all as explained above.

Here's end result!

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

Looks great. I am getting ready to buy some novus to buff out my sanding to 3000 grit. Judging from what you have done I should have no problem buffing it out

Yeah, once you go over with the Novus 3 it really takes away the deeper groves from the coarser sand paper. From what I read online, the Novus 3 is about equivalent to a 6000 grit sandpaper. You guys were definitely right, nothing to worry about!

Good deal. Can you see a major difference?

Yeah, the vortechs had made places on my acrylic from the heat and that is no longer visible. Also, did half of the top of the DT and it was really scratched up from being moved around and looks perfect. It's not as bad as I expected, just have to have patience and be ready to put in some time when doing this project. After this....Plumbing so need to figure out my plumbing routes/needs asap so I don't hold up the progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to the holidays and being sick this all got a bit delayed. Sunday I wrapped up polishing with Novus #2 using the wool buffing pad on the drill but still see slight swirl marks at the right angle. I spoke to Reefer82 and he's going to let me borrow his dual stage polisher. Did you guys use a wool pad on the last stage to give it that last bit of finish or did you use a foam pad last? I've got some research to do...

I used a foam pad. My results were good. I have one area that needs polished a bit more, with water in it it's slightly hazy

Maybe that's my problem. I used the wool buffing pad and let the pad/drill do the work and kept pressure off of it. It does not look bad, it's just not got the shine I expected so willing to do another 1-2 stages to make sure it's perfect. My goal is to have tank polished/plumbed by end of month running water for a bit for leak/flow tests. Once that's wrapped up I will drain and aquascape, cycle for about a month running on the protein skimmer, and then tie into the other system! It's coming closer but just need to remain having patience, doing it right the first time...What grade of foam pad did you use? If you look at angle do you see any swirls?

It's just a cheap polishing pad I picked up at harbor freight. I see some swirls here and there but not enough to cause my OCD to go nuts. With water in mine it looks real good

I think a wool buffing wheel on a right angle polisher would yield better results. I worked with what I had and Im happy with the end results.

The wool just seems so much more abrasive so the foam would not add "abrasiveness" to the Novus 2. I'll be researching a bit this week when I have time but this weekend is next time I'll have to work on tank...