Leopard Wrasse - Any experience keeping and finding a healthy one?

Here is a good read on leopard wrasse. They are difficult to keep even for seasoned reefers for many reasons. I prefer not to even order them in unless they are a special order.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/wrasses/LeopardWrasse.php

I think I skimmed that article before. Probably best to avoid unless I could find someone with a well established healthy one they are letting go.

Any other thoughts on a small, reef safe wrasse. I love my inverts so it needs to play nicely. Maybe something in the Halichoeres family??

I love halieocheres wrasse. A smaller specie like bicolettas or timorensis would be nice. Others like vrolks and melanarus eat crustaceans and can nip clam mantles

Flasher wrasse and fairy wrasse are popular and easily obtained and for the most part leave everything alone. Clams inverts etc. Just need to watch when you add more than one and research what wrasse can get along in the same specie like the cirrilabhrus family

• Like 1

Well I'm only adding one wrasse so that should make it easier, and it will be the last thing added after I get a goby.

I had a Halichoeres margaritaceus in a previous tank and it did very well. I also seen a Halichoeres hortulanus (checkerboard) locally, but I heard they can be problematic with some shrimp and feather dusters.

I will check out the ones you mentioned as well Brandon.

I've got four currently, I find them to be healthy additions if they make it past the first few weeks. Key is to leave them alone and treat them with praziquantel in the water and metroplex (in the food).

I've had good luck with potters, regular, bipartus/blue star, black, and ornate. I had short term success with a choates leopard but it only made it a year, they're very sensitive to nearly every water parameter.