Need help picking skimmer and return pump

MrsBugmaster

I am replacing my 34 gal Solana with a new Red Sea Reefer 170 series setup. This option will give me a sump which I don't have now. I need help picking out my skimmer and return pump. I need something that is silent!(husbands requirement for letting me upgrade) From the research I've already done it looks like these are the best options and what everyone is using.

Keeping in mind that the skimmer section is 11.8”x9.8”,total system water volume is 43 gals, and return pump need to be 530 gph and is (11.8”x4.7”). If anyone has any experience or first hand knowledge of these please let me know. I am looking for something very silent and reliable for years to come. Or if there is something I am not aware of that my be better.

These are what I am looking at:

Skimmer ​ Pump needs to be silent (skimmer section is 11.8”x9.8”)

Skimz SN123 Monster Mini with dc pump

Reef Octopus Classic 110 SSS

Deltec SC 1351 (some report it is noisy)

Bubble Magus Curve 5 (needs 9" of water and some report this is problem)

Nyos Quantam 120

​Return Pump ​ Needs to be silent! (return pump section is 11.8”x4.7” and needs 530 gph)

​Even though the dc pumps are usually silent, some reports that a dc pump is not best option as it messes with water levels and the downpipe valve adjustments. The exception is the Vectra M1, which I think is way too much for this size tank but will include it as some use it.

Echotech Marine Vectra M1

Nyos viper 5.0 (at 529 gph may be a little under sized.)

Syncra 2.0 Pump: 568gph

Syncra 3.5 Pump: 660gph

Eheim 1260 :635 gph

Tunze Recirculation Pump Silence 1073.020 :50 to 630 gph

I have experience with 2 of those skimmers and 1 of the returns.

I used the bubble magus skimmer on a previous tank and switched it out for the reef octopus 110 because of inconsistencies. The bubble magus worked really well (when it worked), but was so touchy it wasn't worst the hassle of constantly adjusting. The reef octopus was an excellent skimmer in my experience. Took a bit of time to dial in but once there it worked well, skimmed really good and almost never needed adjustment.

The return pump I have experience with is the tunze. They are excellent pumps and I would definitely recommend. Dead silent and they are work horses. I had one for 6yrs on my 40gal when I lived in Florida before selling the entire system. Never had an issue with it and definitely didn't clean it like I probably should have.

Ive had a backwards experience to ryan. the BM curve 5 worked fantastic. very very quiet. I even had it raised on a platform to get the water lower in the body since my skimmer section was 8-9". it ran in about 7" really well. any RO skimmer ive had overflowed for no reason. shut it off, turned it back on and it was steady for another 2 weeks. noting in intake, nothing inside.... no reason ( the last RO was great, just sold it to Splix, that thing was amazing. too amazing. I now run no skimmer)

as for return pump. cant go wrong with Eheim-bulletproof for many years but $$$. the Vectra ive read a lot about and I couldn't justify the price. I Currently have a Syncra..4 or 5? and had a 3 or 3.5 before that's still laying aroung from my old cube... they are both very very quiet. I run a beananimal overflow and it is dead silent, so I hear anything and everything in my tank. the loudest part had been my powerheads.

have a vetra L which I got only a month or so ago. I am happy thus far with it. It has been quiet, and although it is expensive compared to other companies the ecotech has a decent track record. Also their battery backup option was appealing

I like the DC pumps for their quietness and came across these two skimmers. They are rated for a little bigger tank though. Never heard of Simplicity brand before. Anyone know how good it is? Would they work on this size tank?

Simplicity 120 DC rated at 60 to 120 gal

RO Regal 159 NT rated at 55 to 210 gal

MrsBugmaster:

I have a used 34g Solana that I just purchased a few weeks ago, is there a way I can contact you? I'd like to ask a few questions of you since you have one about the skimmer and water levels. I can't PM you maybe because I'm so new?

Thanks and good luck with the new tank!!!

I have read good things about the simplicity skimmers.

I have a Sicce return pump and it is silent. It is also very easy to clean.

Good to hear, thanks for the comments.

Look for my 34 Gal Solana in the For Sale forum soon!