Update on my split sump/fuge

meacret

Stang that's actually a 4' beams work led (similar to a marine land) that I was able to squeeze up above, Budman yes there's a small pump in the sump that is plumbed to the bulkhead in the fuge, then it simply drains back to sump, thanks guys for the comments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! I've noticed many people suggesting rubble or just rock/ glass bottom rather than sand. Why did you go with sand?

I'm asking as I am hoping to build a larger sump (conversion into a fuge) later this fall and have been debating my own options. I think I prefer the look of sand (to help plants take hold) and yet have room for chaeto (floating), but am concerned with the sand becoming fouled or loaded with detritus etc. The point is filtration, not another source of nitrates.

• Like 1

I went with sand because in every fuge I've ever had it had sand, there seems to be enough clean up crew taking care of that sand as it, as a whole keeps looking better, the macro growth is off the charts, so to sum it up I feel that the sand bed adds more to the filtration, especially in my case where it's 3" deep, if you prefer sand as do I, I recommend having a oversized cleanup crew in the fuge, as its working great for meek at week 10, here's a shot of it right now too so if you compare previous pics you'll see the changes well and note that the changes are for the better, best of luck with your build, if you have any questions or if I can be of help in any way please let me know!812a2ac00fd79d2c54cf0201133d630f.jpgffa5ad983f0f42201f822839fe6cb61e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...